19.2.03

there are a few groups of people in this world who go without enough applause. the two i would like to spotlight here are the united states postal service and the united parcel service (ups).

my (i like to pretend that he only delivers packages to me) ups man just rang the doorbell in the friendly manner he does when he has a package for me. he says his friendly hello and i sign that nifty electronic signature board with all the excitement of an expectant child on christmas. we chat briefly, and off he flies to deliver more brown boxes to more people in more places. he even apologized that deliveries were delayed due to the snow storm! i am just so impressed! i always get so excited when my doorbell rings at 5.30 on a weekday, because i know it must be my ups man. i know i'm only getting that usual delivery of duct tape or ribbon or snaps, but that doesn't mean that i can't, and shouldn't, be in awe of the way merchadise and goods safely travel around the world.

i can also say that i enjoy all my trips to my local post office branch as well. i belong to (i use 'belong' because 'everybody knows your name' at this branch, and they all show such enthusiasm for duct tape) a wonderful little post office branch just a few miles from home. the lines are always short. they're always stocked with the supplies i need. and the friendly folks behind the counter are just that: friendly and kind and they smile a lot too (ellen is my favorite). i think they are all just great, and i appreciate my daily smile and conversation with everyone there. and i am constantly amazed that our mail is delivered everyday, and i am so grateful.

No comments: