10.10.09

what to do? (reader opinions welcomed)

i had a funny thing happen today. one of my bestest, bestest, oldest long-time friends called today. she's been very busy on the farm, therefore is exempt from having to understand or remember anything not involving the farm. she sent me a text message yesterday saying she finally had some time and she would call. she didn't...and i almost could predict what would happen. she would call on my birthday, but she wouldn't remember it was my birthday (remember: farming, no sense of date or anything) and then it would be awkward and funny and what do you do? (i will note that last year i called brian on his birthday without realizing it was his birthday. i always think his birthday is in may, but actually it's in april. it was funny, after i got over being totally embarrassed). anyhow, she called and we finally caught up. she did not recall the birthday, and we had so much to catch up on that there was no reason to interject that it was my birthday! anyhow, i hung up and giggled to myself that something funny was going to happen. she called back a few hours later and i picked up the phone to, "how could you let me talk for that long and not tell me it was your birthday." she remembered and called and it was funny. anyhow, is there a standard for what to do in this situation?

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

you've got to tell them right away, or first thing when the ask what you're doing. that's what i say!